Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Traditional Knitting Needles

I would call straight knitting needles, the most well known. When I knit with circulars, people always ask questions about them, really wondering what those strange things are. When I knit with straights, people usually know that I'm knitting. In movies and on TV, most knitters use straights. I think that is because straight knitting needles just say knitting. Its that immediate though of "She's Knitting", when they see someone with straight needles.

How do I feel about Straight needles? I honestly don't use them all that much, as I said in last week's post, Circulars are my favorite. The way I see it the best way to find the absolutely best needles, is to try different kinds of needles and find the ones that feel the best. There are advantages to using straight needles, one is that there isn't a cord to worry about. The knitter doesn't have to worry about the connections coming apart. Another advantage is that the needles are the same diameter the entire length of the needles. This is a good thing because some knitters have problems with pulling the yarn too tightly and that can lead to problems if the yarn is so tight that the stitches can't go over the connection and back on the needles. Another is that the two needles are seperate, and I'm sure that is an advantage for some knitters. They are also made completely of the same material. This keeps the stitches more consistient, I really don't think most people would notice the difference between the two materials, but there probably is a group of knitters who can tell the difference.

Do any of you use straight needles and know of any other advantages to using them?

I hope that was informative. If you have any questions, just leave a comment or send me an email.

No comments: